Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Response to Webpages

Kate Bradley’s webpage inspires me possibly because of the topic she chose to do for her personal hypertext, “Live One World.” I think the design of her webpage really expresses the person she is, and I can tell she put a lot of heart into her pages. Her webpage is a form of personal expression, especially since it appears she is apart of the organization most of her work is based on. I like how she kind of has one main theme throughout her webpage. This theme of humanity and empowerment.

She teaches us about caring for the world, and not forgetting who we are as individuals. Kate emphasizes how it is possible for us to make a difference in the world because we all are capable of doing something we believe in. Her writings and pictures convey this idea that we cannot take our lives for granted because a lot of us are lucky to get the education, food, families etc. compared to others less unfortunate than us around the world. Her personal hypertext inspires me to volunteer, whether it’s about the environment, communities, or just lending a hand out in general.

I like the different layouts she uses, especially how she uses the pictures as links instead of using words. I feel like her webpage speaks for itself because of the creative pictures she uses, and this makes it more personal. Because of the way she designs her pages, and the messages she tries to convey, you can feel the emotion she puts behind her work. I like how her pages always are full of empowerment and try to draw awareness to whatever issue she is addressing.


Craig Benko’s webpage is so artistic and creative. I enjoyed looking through his personal hypertext because it’s all about doing what he is passionate about- photography. I think it’s because I love art and I think what he does is so great. His webpage inspires me to do the things I love do to, whatever I’m passionate about.

I like his webpage designs and layout. His pages have that artsy feel, but at the same time they all look so professional. The professional aspect of his webpage is throughout- his personal hypertext, the reading response and his civil engagement project. For instance, I think his personal hypertext’s design emphasizes his photography. The gray, black, and white color palette fits to provide the artistic atmosphere to portray his photography. This also demonstrates his artistic creativity as well. I also like how his webpage layout keeps a consistent pattern of design throughout, even though there’s different sections.

I looked through his civil engagement project and I think the idea he proposed based on the difference between an athlete who lifts weights or a football player compared to someone who is a cyclist is an interesting thought. I don’t have any knowledge of diet for an athlete because I have never completely immersed myself into an athletic sport. So reading about what the body needs, in regards to protein or nutrition, especially if one wants to be a successful cyclist is new information to me.


I really like Randy Holaday’s style and all his pages are so personalized, they totally portray his character. First, I looked through his personal hypertext, which is all about the bands he loves and his taste in music. I enjoyed listening and learning about the bands he likes, especially the Goo Goo Dolls because I like them too. It was fun learning (plus watching videos) about his other favorite bands including Stars, Metric, and Tegan and Sarah. He has such good taste in music.

Randy’s design of his webpage, using his personal hypertext as an example, always connects with whatever the subject is. His personal hypertext also has that artsy, creative vibe, which goes with his theme of showing the music he loves. Similar to Craig’s webpage, where the design of his webpage emphasizes his photography. Looking at our second assignment, Reading Response, I like how his design looks political. Because of his font and background choices, for instance, blue and gray- this ties into the political aspect of the issue of media ownership and remixing.

His Reading Response addresses the issue of as to what extent there is to freedom of speech and how freedom of speech is presented or not throughout the internet. This taught me his perspective on how the government does restrict our freedom of speech on the internet. I think I discussed this issue of free speech within my reading response as well, but his questions did make me think more in regards to our democratic society.

-Cristina

2 comments:

  1. I felt very moved by Kate Bradely's work as well. I began to understand the importance of doing things that are meaningful and important. I, too, commented on Craig Benko's work, for his artistic design and expression of creativity. I appreciated the ease of navigation with the professional style

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this response. All of these people have great pages that are very clear and organized. The lay out really makes a difference in the ease of seeing the material and its quality.

    ReplyDelete