Critical thinking is "reasonably and reflectively deciding what to believe or do."
Ennis (1985)
The process of making a hypertext is very much about deciding what to believe or do. I would say the majority of my time spent on the project was spent agonizing over the details. What presentation will best help my argument? In what order should I progress through my argument? Do I believe the arguments made by the texts I am analyzing? I asked myself all of these questions many times and only through careful though was I able to move forward.
"Broadly speaking, critical thinking is concerned with reason, intellectual honesty, and open-mindedness, as opposed too emotionalism, intellectual laziness, and closed-mindedness. Thus, critical thinking involves: following evidence where it leads; considering all possibilities; relying on reason rather than emotion; being precise; considering a variety of possible viewpoints and explanations; weighing the effects of motives and biases; being concerned more with finding the truth than with being right; not rejecting unpopular views out of hand; being aware of one's own prejudices and biases, and not allowing them to sway one's judgment."
Kurland, Daniel J. I Know What It Says . . . What does it Mean? 1995.
Having never made a website or had much interest in modifying my profile on facebook or myspace, creating a hypertext was a chance to be completely open-minded. There was no predominant design or font that would make my page “pop,” only through trial and error could I determine the best route for my site to take
Critical thinking is careful and deliberate determination of whether to accept, reject, or suspend judgment.
Moore and Parker, 1994.
I very easily could have said “screw it, Dreamweaver sucks. My site will never look that good, all the pages are going to be the same.” But after exploring with the program a bit, I found that simple pages could look good as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment