Critical thinking is "reasonably and reflectively deciding what to believe or do."
Ennis (1985)
The reason why I believe this particular definition of critical thinking applies to how I constructed my hypertexts is that creating my hypertext was for me both logical and reflective simultaneously. Without logical connections and networks throughout my website, there would be no structure and would render the site meaningless. On the other hand, without reflective thought, there is no real content, and no part of myself within the hypertext.
"Critical thinking is the use of those cognitive skills or strategies that increase the probability of a desirable outcome. It is used to describe thinking that is purposeful, reasoned and goal directed - the kind of thinking involved in solving problems, formulating inferences, calculating likelihoods, and making decisions when the thinker is using skills that are thoughtful and effective for the particular context and type of thinking task. Critical thinking also involves evaluating the thinking process - the reasoning that went into the conclusion we've arrived at the kinds of factors considered in making a decision. Critical thinking is sometimes called directed thinking because it focuses on a desired outcome."
Halpern, Diane F. Thought and Knowledge: An Introduction to Critical Thinking. 1996.
I also chose this definition because creating a hypertext was in essence a massive problem, or network of problems that entangle within one another and it is my job to untangle it with my goal in mind. Also, when creating a hypertext, it is likely that I am creating it with a specific outcome I want to achieve, or a specific result and reaction I want to illicit from my audience, and therefore need to think critically of how to achieve my goal in this manner.
"The purpose of critical thinking is, therefore, to achieve understanding, evaluate view points, and solve problems. Since all three areas involve the asking of questions, we can say that critical thinking is the questioning or inquiry we engage in when we seek to understand, evaluate, or resolve."
Maiorana, Victor P. Critical Thinking Across the Curriculum: Building the Analytical Classroom. 1992.
Finally creating a hypertext is all about questions: how do I want it to look, how do I want to sound, what sort of tone should I take, am I creating the website as myself or as an academic project? I want to understand and evaluate myself and what my goals are, and resolve how to incorporate my ideas into the text. This definition is just a mix of the previous two, in a way. On the other hand, besides questioning myself, I want to question, understand and evaluate any material I am going to be injecting into my hypertext.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment