Monday, March 1, 2010

-"Critical thinking is sometimes called directed thinking because it focuses on a desired outcome."
Halpern, Diane F. Thought and Knowledge: An Introduction to Critical Thinking. 1996.

This definition truly speaks to me because why else do we make drafts and think about what we want to do about a certain topic. Critical thinking throughout this quarter in improving my hypertext has been about what looks right, what should go here, etc.

-"Since all three areas involve the asking of questions, we can say that critical thinking is the questioning or inquiry we engage in when we seek to understand, evaluate, or resolve."
Maiorana, Victor P. Critical Thinking Across the Curriculum: Building the Analytical Classroom. 1992.

Again, why would we bother to ask questions or draft something up if we weren't critically using our heads? I am a very curious person for this reason, I am always wondering what to accept and reject. I am always questioning what is useful. I did this very same thing when I created and when I still enhance my hypertext projects.

I had never composed a hypertext prior to this class, so in relation to critical thinking and this project, I am always actively using my critical thinking skills. I cannot say the same for an English class however, for this class I have been exposed to many different ways to get to a final "paper". I first questioned the professors method, but I can now see why it works.

-"the examination and testing of suggested solutions to see whether they will work."
Lindzey, Hall, and Thompson, 1978.

Why would someone ever just take information and not examine that information or test it? I see this as the reason for getting an education, you are to question things until you understand them, you are to explore and experiment until things look right and make sense to you. in the hypertext project that is exactly what I have been doing. There are so many things about this project that makes me wonder how exactly does that do that? Why do I need that? Who came up with that? How will I remember to use that? In my opinion I think that these are things we should always be aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment